Monday, February 18, 2008

Entrapment

Following a fascination in our country with sex-predators and their demise, I would like to make a few comments about it.

I enjoy watching Dateline's To Catch a Predator. I find it hilarious. It's amusing to see these not-so-intelligent men get caught for "possibly committing a crime." My first problem, why are there never any woman on these shows getting caught? There are woman out there that get in trouble all the time for having a "liaison" with a young guy. Why can't we play up their creepy factor by luring them into police custody like they do all these men that get caught on the show. And that's my biggest problem. I believe that the police are using a horrible tactic in trying to "deter" crime. I believe that these men, or women, would not commit these crimes (if intention is a crime) if they did not have the opportunity to do so. The police are maliciously tempting normal, law-abiding citizens (in some cases, yes, I know some of these men do have records) into a situation they created.

Let's put this in another context. A police officer puts a quarter on the ground and watches to see if someone picks it up. Normally, people pick up change all the time and never turn it in. Should they be put in jail and never be allowed to vote again, because a police officer baited someone into "stealing"?

I believe this tactic the police are using is unfair and creates a culture of fear.

The best way to combat internet predators is to hold the parents of the children responsible. Children should not be allowed unlimited unmonitored internet access. The parents should be more responsive the what their children are doing and what they are involved with in their free-time. It's high-time we hold parents accountable for raising their own children.

With my statements, I do not support or encourage internet predators. I believe if someone commits a crime they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

No comments: